Friday, May 18, 2018

The Streets of Yokohama shot with a 28mm lens

I'm starting to think that the 28mm lens is the best for street photography. Using my Sony A7II camera and two different 28mm lenses I spent two days walking around Yokohama taking pictures of people and places.

Day 1: Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f2 VM lens.

I want to ride my bicycle! What better way for a business man to get around town than on a mama-san bike.

While 28mm is considered a wide angle lens there's no reason not to use it up close and personal.

Close in on the subject as well as showing plenty of background; nice and sharp!

As the days get longer and the sun gets brighter it's time to break out the parasols.

The tree lined main avenue of the Bashamichi district is a wonderful place to walk.

Couples of all ages can be seen here walking hand in hand.

Then there is the tree lined Nihon Odori avenue.

Sometimes I call Nihon Odori an avenue and other times I call it a boulevard.

Boulevard: a broad avenue in a city, usually having areas at the sides or center for trees, grass, or flowers.

Avenue: a wide, usually tree-lined road, path, driveway, etc., through grounds to a country house or monumental building.

Based on those two definitions I'd have to say that "boulevard" is probably more accurate. Let me ask this guy  and see what he thinks.

Whether it's a boulevard or an avenue can be debated but here in Yamashita park there is no doubt about one thing - this is a promenade!

Promenade:
1. a stroll or walk, especially in a public place, as for pleasure or display.
2. an area used for such walking.


Strolling through the beautiful flower garden in Yamashita park is a dream come true for many people.

She wears her pearls for a walk in the park; nothing wrong with having a little class.

Some people walk around looking down - others keep their eye on the sky!

China town is a perfect match for the 28mm lens perspective. Use it close up or...

...go for the big picture!

Freshly steamed dumplings are fantastically delicious!

This is an example of preserving the past and embracing the future. The original building is preserved on the outside and sprouting out of the center is a modern addition.

The best sunscreen on the market - the parasol!

Time for a coffee break. Today I had ice coffee.

Checking out the back streets of the Noge district.

I thought this picture would be much better if the girl with the umbrella would turn around.

Then she turned around and she didn't look very happy. Was she having a bad day or was it the sight of me standing in front of her pointing a camera in her direction that made her so? I'll never know because I quickly crossed the street and entered the train station.


Day two: Using the Zeiss Biogon T* 28mm f2.8 ZM lens.

The point of using two different lens on this little project was not to compare them because I like them both. Actually there is no point to using two different lens; I'm just having fun!

Marching down the Isezaki shopping street.

I respect everyone's choice on how to apply lipstick.

Back in Bashamichi where the cool guys strut their stuff.

I think that the parasol can be quite fashionable. I think she would agree with me.

Everyone's doing it! Well, almost every woman is doing it; I don't see any men rocking the parasol.

Love is in the air.

The side streets of China town are packed with restaurants.

Street theatre?
Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!
-- William Shakespeare

Every face tells a story.

Please don't wear red tonight 
This is what I said tonight 
For red is the color that will make me blue 
In spite of you, it's true…
--The Beatles

Maybe I should have titled this post "Parasols in Paradise".

Somebody must have stole he parasol.

Maybe it was her!

28mm is terrific for the street.

What's that in the background?

Okay, it's been a fun two days and without a doubt in my mind the 28mm is the ultimate street photography lens. Well, time to hop onboard the next train and head home for an ice cold beer!

Thanks for stopping by!
Mike



Bonus shots taken with a Sigma Sd Quattro camera.










No comments:

Post a Comment