Thursday, October 5, 2017

Grey Skies Over Jogashima Island

Of course I'd love to have beautiful blue skies whenever I go out to take pictures but that's not possible. So, what I've learned is to embrace bad weather and grey skies and try and use them to enhance the images I make. With that in mind I headed to the island of Jogashima on a seemingly bad day.

The way I get to the island is by bus; this bus. This is the Jogashima bus stop located at the far end of the island.

There are several seafood restaurants in the surrounding area.

Many of the shops and restaurants are closed during the work week. However, a few were open for business when I visited.

The exteriors  are a bit weather worn but they look warm and inviting on the inside.

Looking seaward at the entrance of the channel that divides the island and the mainland.

Most of the island coast is rugged and rocky.

One can see Mt. Fuji in the distance. Hard to see but it's there.

This is the "Jogashima Keikyu Hotel".
http://www.keikyu-travel.com/inb/hotels/Kanto/jogashimakq.htm
Just behind the hotel is the Jogashima Lighthouse.

How soon the Summer fades and the Fall colors move in.

A group of students on a field trip.

These weeds are beautiful.

On top of the bluff there is an easy walking path.

The path leads to may nice sights such as this rocky formation with holes in it.

This place is called Umanose-doumon.

There's a nice sandy beach here and a lot of tidal pools for those people interested in poking around tidal pools.


The view from the top of the trail leading down to Umanose-doumon

 Farther down the trail is this large protrusion that is a bird sanctuary for Sea Cormorants

Nothing but grey skies do I see. This is a view from one of the observation platforms.

Another view from the same platform.

At this end of the island there are steep trails that lead down to the sea.

There's also a lot of scenic view points.

One feature of the island is that there are a lot of wild cats here. They are not the kind of cats that one should be petting.

This end of the island is a a well maintained park called "Jogashima Park". There are clean (I mean very clean) restrooms in the park.

Lots of benches and picnic tables.

It's just beautiful out here.

Tree lined walking tails...

What more could one want?

...perhaps another lighthouse I guess. This is Awazaki lighthouse.

And, suddenly I was swarmed by a group of female high school students. Well, actually they just happened to come to the same area I was in; I don't think they noticed me.

Moving on I spot another photographer on top of the rocky coastline.

Sightseer seeing sights.

The going is getting a little tougher as I walk the coast. This is no place for wearing flip-flops.

Same photographer as before. He looked pretty serious but when I greeted him he broke into a big smile and returned the greeting.

Unable to proceed along the coast any further it was time to head up and work my way back to the bus stop.

Heading back along the trail and looking back at Umanose-doumon

The lighthouse is in sight! I'm as good as gone!
Jogashima is a great little island to visit. Easy walking trails, clean public rest rooms, picnic areas, plenty of pay parking for those that come here by car and easy access by bus from the Misakiguchi train station. Bring the family and check it out!

Thanks for stopping by!
Mike

Bonus shots from a grey day in Yokohama





No comments:

Post a Comment