Friday, September 15, 2017

Manza Onsen! - September 2017

Manza Onsen is a hot spring and ski resort area located in Gunma prefecture here in Japan. This onsen is 1800 meters above sea level high up on the slopes of Mt. Shirane.

For this trip (we've been here before) we stayed at the Manza Prince Hotel.

Unlike our previous trips, this time we used public transportation to get here. On the last leg of the journey we rode the hotel's shuttle bus from Karuizawa train station to the front door of the hotel; pretty nice!

On the second day I was out and about right after breakfast. This pond is located just minutes away from the hotel.

A well maintained walking path makes it easy to walk around the pond.

It's quite peaceful out here. Although, I did bring some brass bells that were provided by the hotel to hang on my belt. The jingling sound of the bells is supposed to keep the bears away. Hope it works!

The boardwalk zigs and zags along the edge of the pond. There are no fish in the pond because the water is too acidic.

A last look back before I move on.

Continuing on I arrived at this small shrine at the beginning of another nature walking trail.

I was greeted by this small stone statue.

Looking at the landscape I'll soon be exploring.

Small mountain flowers dot the trail.

I'm a big fan of mountain streams.

Looking back down the trail one can see the hillside covered with hotels.

Kind of a primitive looking place.

It's a nice trail but one must pay attention to where one walks - a misstep could spoil the day.

All alone in the woods, just me, my thoughts and my jingling anti-bear bells - oh my!

Okay, I'm not alone now, I can see some other people out enjoying the day.


This is fun!

Did I mention that the air is filled with the smell of sulfur - yes indeed it smells like rotten eggs.

Come winter the snow will be quite deep here.

Day 3, more exploring. On the left side of the road is an aqueduct that takes care of the sulfuric water running off of the mountain's hot spring sources.

The mountain stream water is a beautiful white sulfuric color.

Hot steam rises out of the ground.

A touch of blue sky.

The sound of a mountain stream's running water, the smell of sulfur in the air - heaven on earth!

A closer look.

Grey clouds in the sky move quickly sometimes parting briefly to revel some blue sky.

The Manza Prince Hotel scene from a different angle.

Some dead trees are still standing; monuments to the acidic mountain air.

The winding mountain roads attract a lot of motorcycle riders on the weekends.

Last day: There's only one thing spoiling this picture - yes, it's me!

I love the wispy clouds.

All good things must come to an end. We've left our high altitude onsen heaven and returned to the Karuizawa train station to catch the bullet train to Tokyo.

This bullet train is heading in the opposite direction.

Here comes our ride! We're riding in style.

Until next time...
Thanks for stopping by!
Mike


Bonus shots!








2 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures. The little statue makes me think of Aunt Jemima

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristen! You're right it does look like Aunt Jemima.

      I hope all is well with you and the family.

      All the best,
      Mike

      Delete