Sunday, March 20, 2016

Kamakura - Daibutsu & Hasedera Temple

I was in a touristy mood and it was one of the nicest days this year so I decided to go to Kamakura. Kamakura is a large area with a lot to see and do, maybe to much to see and do in one day so I decided to limit my visit to just two places.

After arriving at the Kamakura train station I decided to visit the Daibutsu (Great Buddha) first. While taxis, buses, trains and even rickshaws are readily available I figured that the 2 kilometer walk would do me good.

It was a beautiful spring day and while walking along the quiet residential streets these brilliant flowers that had fallen on the stone and bamboo fence caught my eye.

I have arrived!

Up close and personal with the Great Buddha.

Construction of the original Daibutsu began in 1252 and lasted for ten years.

It was destroyed twice in 1334 and 1369 by strong winds and was rebuilt again sometime after the 15th century.

Height, including the pedestal is 13.4 meters. Weight is 121 tons.

This Buddha is visited daily by tourist from around the world.  I was here on a regular work day and it wasn't overly crowded. If one visits on the weekend be prepared for large crowds.

Now you see him...

Now you don't! Well, maybe you can see him playing peek-a-boo with the stone lantern.

It's not a long walk from the Buddha to the Hasedera Temple. However, the sidewalks are narrow and crowded with other tourists shopping at the souvenir shops and eating at the restaurants that line both sides of the street.

The price of admission to the Hasedera temple is 300 yen and I think it's well worth it.

A visitor is lighting incense.

This temple is beautiful and well maintained.

The temple grounds are large and it's enjoyable to just walk around and soak in the serine atmosphere.

No two statues have the same look or expression on their face

There's an army of these statues.


The temple grounds are like a park with trails weaving up and down the hill side.

Talk about being well maintained, even the grass is braided.


Just beyond this little nook filled with stone statues is a beautiful view of the Kamakura beach front.


There is also a cave to explore.

And, of course there are prayer boards left by visitors.

Working my way back to the Kamakura train station.

And, here it is!

Waiting for my train; my legs were tired from all the walking but my spirits were high from the satisfying feeling of playing tourist on such a beautiful day.

Thanks for stopping by!
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment